Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dave Hegland - 1971

David Hegland East High Varsity 1970-1971 season

My East High Basketball experience started when I was in Grade school. My father took me to several games. Most of them East/West games. I remember running up and down the stands at the old West High upper deck area and walking into the East High Gym with the strong smell of popcorn. The games were always close, the fans and music were always loud and the COACH was always on his feet. Dick Winderel, John Tracy, Larry Gallagher, Gene Kennedy, Larry Love, Steve Steinkraus, Wayne Gibson, Brad Albro, Bill Berentsen, John Berteaux, Morrison, Morrie Miller--all heroes that I wanted to be like. There is still a mystical quality about my memories of the practices, big games, the dimming lights, diving into the stands to save a ball, putting on the uniform, the last game. We beat West two times that year and were the only team in the Olympic League to beat South Kitsap with Gordy Brockman. We were 11 and 10 going into our District Finals game with Curtis High(eventual winners of the State Title that year) and Coach Eathorne said “well, at least we can’t finish below 500!” I fouled out in the third quarter of that game and cried like a baby, you know--like Boyce(just kidding Beaver!).

What did I learn? Dreams can get you to wonderful places. Being recognized and acknowledged for your hard work and gaining the respect from THE COACH and playing for the EAST HIGH KNIGHTS made the dream that I had come to life. Playing Varsity Basketball at East High was the greatest athletic experience of my life. I went on to play basketball at Olympic College with Larry Sampson and Wayne Gibson as the coaches. Learned that there was such a thing as man-to-man defense. I also continued in Track and Field at O.C. and then at Central Washington where I was co-captain, set the school record in the High Jump(6’ 9-1/8”) and went on to place 5th at the NAIA National Meet in Arkadelphia, Arkansas(1975)--just thought I would bring that up.

Best wishes to you few fortunate men who got to experience East High School Basketball.

David Hegland, Forward, 1970-1971 season, #41

No comments: