Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Clark Blaisdell- 1971

I appreciate the lessons learned from Coach Eathorne. I respect and honor the man. He taught me that I was a student first and an athlete second. My senior year I skipped a class because I did not have an assignment completed. The teacher who taught the class happened to run into Coach Eathorne and mentioned that the upcoming game might be a tough one. Coach agreed, but the teacher continued that the game might be more of a challenge because three of his key players had missed his class that day. We were warming up for practice, and Coach Eathorne called the three of us into the locker room. When confronted with our missing class that day, we confessed our transgression. He immediately informed us that we were suspended from the team for this one game. We could not practice with the team suit up for the game, nor attend the game. This was a league game and important in the standings for our making the playoffs. To this day I appreciate that attending class and being a good student and person were more important to Coach Eathorne than a game. I also appreciate that he was very fair to us and allowed us to continue as members of the team and did not punish us further. We were allowed to maintain our position as starters. I will always remember the lesson taught by a good coach and a great man.

I also remember the pregame rituals. The most exciting moment for me (besides the opening tip) was the introduction of the starters at the free throw line. The house lights were turned off and the spotlight was focused on the players at the free throw line as they were introduced. I still feel the excitement and adrenaline as I think about it.

It was a privilege to be a member of the Knight basketball team. Those are memories I cherish and revere. I am grateful for the opportunity I had to be a Knight, but most importantly I am grateful for the lessons taught to me. I thought so highly of Coach Eathorne that I asked him to write a letter of recommendation for me when I graduated from college and sought employment. I am one of many whom Coach Eathorne impacted and influenced. Thank you, Coach.

Clark Blaisdell, Class of 1971
Clark Blaisdell
Cornerstone Technologies, LLC
824 N 1430 W
Orem, UT 84057
M: 801-471-5428
T: 801-221-0099
F: 801-221-4804
cblaisdell@cornerstoneav.com

No comments: