Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dan Hegland - 1973

As a 1973 graduate of East High School, I clearly remember the excitement of playing basketball before energetic crowds. Before that as a young boy I remember watching in awe those players that built on the tradition of playing fast-paced, crowd pleasing basketball. I was honored to take my place as one of many Knights to play under Coach Eathorne. We were blessed with supporting parents, sacrificing coaches, and a school and community that was 100% behind us.

The homes games were absolutely electric. Nearing the game starting time, the combination of the pep band with drums, the dark gym with spotlight, the entrance of the Knight in shining armor, the singing of The Star Spangled Banner and The Fight Song, the cheers lead by the cheerleaders, the last instructions by Coach in the huddle before tip off, it all fostered a major goose bump that I'll never forget.

On the court we had much success. We had the right combination of student-athletes that worked hard, valued teamwork, were coachable, understood our roles and respected each other. One of the many things I learned that still applies to me is the importance of "diving for loose balls." Expending that extra effort at opportune times, can create favorable situations.

Thanks for the memories.
Respectfully,
Dan Hegland

No comments: