Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Gene Jarstad - 1970

It is great that you trying to preserve a little history. I never thought that Basketball was even a fun sport until I was a Sophomore, but once I started playing it carried on into college intramurals for hours each day. What a great game! I also grew taller a couple of inches after high school that helped.

The memory that I will always appreciate was the dedication of Coach Eathorne to opening the gym for "open play" each weekend. I spent countless weekends there and Eathorne was always around. His focus on this sport was inspiring. I always loved a sport that did not entail running around and around the track for 4-8 laps; and also one that fans actually came to watch. (as compared to track and cross country.)

About Me: Graduated from W.S.U. with a B.S. and an M.S. in Science and Wildlife biology. Returned one more time to get certified to teach. I worked for the WAshington Legislature for a Senator for a time, substitute taught, sold goeducks, worked for the Bureau of Land Management and the Dept. of Natural Resources, and then entered the career in Sales for a pharmaceutical company that I have enjoyed for over the last 20 years.

I live in Seattle, got married only 2 years ago for the first time, and still try to compete in Triathlons when I can. Good luck with the project. Since I was kind of a late bloomer in the basketball world, I do not have quite the contribution that I otherwise might. I think that I was the Secretary of the bench warmers association the one year that I did play, although I sure loved the game.

Regards, Gene Jarstad

No comments: