Thursday, August 14, 2008

Kevin Backlund - 1977

I will try to keep this clear and consise, but I have many wonderful memories of Knight Basketball and Coach Eathorne. I hope some of these memories are useful.
*I was introduced to East basketball in the first grade while at Olympic View when my dad took me to the home and away games on Tuesdays and Friday nights. The energy in the gym, the band, the crowd and the full court press and Coach Eathorne getting T's. I could not wait for Tuesday and Friday nights.
*Getting serious about basketball in the 7th grade, preparing to be an EHS Knight and to be one of Les Eathornes kids.
*My role models where the players off the 72',73' and 74' teams. I wanted to be like them. So many leaders, Rich Walker, Rich Arena, Kevin Olson,(playing at CK with his knee wrapped and moving with agony, yet, grabbing rebounds and shooting the bank-shot), Mike Wathall, Rick Torseth waving the towel.
*THE PACT. In 1975 the JV team was all sophmores and Fred Walker. Tom Deichert, Joe Wathall, Scott Brittain and I made a pact that we would dedicate ourselves to win, to go to state and to play in college. We were the last East team to play in the State Tournament. To play and win at St. Martins and to play at UPS at that time was a dream come true for me. We did not win state, but we represented East proudly.
*Christmas Eve at the EHS gym 1975-1977. Since my sophmore year I could not wait for Christmas Eve for watching or participating in Varsity practice then play in open game when many of the graduated players would come back and play. Dave Hegland, Cliff McKenzie, Johnny Golden and so many others.
*Christmas Eve 1978. I was playing for Peninsula College and came home for the alum game. There were only 10 of us. Coach Eathorne came to the center of the court to toss the ball and it was quiet. He then said, "This may be the last time we see this "E" at half court. We all went silent, then the ball was tossed. That was one of the most fun games I have ever participated in and the 3rd most emotional game ever. The two prior were, the last home game my senior year and the last game in the State Tournament at UPS.
*Lessons. You learn about life, commitment, overcoming adversity and how to push when there is nothing left to be pushed from. Coach Eathorne was the only coach EHS had and we all served under him. That is a connection and the one thing in common we all have as ex-players. He prepared us for life which in some cases is much tougher that any 3-press or 1-3-1 zone we ever played. And to be one of his "kids" or to be called "ding-dong or ding bat," you knew you had made it in his good graces.
I will never forget, November 1976, the day prior to the annual Black and White intra-squad game. Tom Deichert and myself were walking out of the gym, basketballs in our hands and our practice gear from Champion. Johnny Golden, who was playing for OC, came out of the teachers lounge along with Coach Eathorne. We all met in front of the Knight, and Coach Eathorne says to Johnny Golden, "I am not sure about this year, look what I have to work with, "ding-dong and ding-bat." As Coach Eathorne left, Johnny smiled and said, "You know he likes ya and he is expecting to win with ya." Deichert and I replied, "You can count on that. We will win."
*The lessons and skills from East basketball are used on a constant basis in my and I assume most of our lives on a daily basis. EHS basketball is just one ingredient for success. But in my opinion it was an ingredient I could not go without.
Thanks for this opportunity to express some wonderful memories and emotions I have for the players and tradition of East High Knight Basketball.
Sincerely,
Kevin R. Backlund

No comments: