Thursday, August 14, 2008

Greg Farrar - 1976

Playing basketball for Coach Eathorne at East High School was truly an honor and well as a privilege. As I get older, I now recognize what a special environment we had a chance to be part of while playing at East. The tradition of East Basketball is something that I will always be very appreciative for having the opportunity to participate in.

Every part of the program was fun; beginning with open gym as junior high kid to running out under the spotlight as a senior starter was a blast. I could hardly wait for open gym to start every October; going to practice every day during the season was a joy while playing in the games was just exciting. Thirty plus years later, I still love the game of basketball, and I can not remember a single time when playing basketball in the gym at East was not fun.

I particularly remember that after every game, win or lose, Coach Eathorne would always thank us for and compliment us on our effort. The “pat on the head” and “good hustle kid” was all I ever needed and still remember it as the greatest compliment possible.

Coach Eathorne taught us to be accountable for our actions. His rules were very fair and were the same for everyone and every team. Coach was always consistent with the consequences when someone did not following the rules, thus it was very easy to follow the rules because we all wanted to play basketball.

Accountability and consistency are two of the lessons learned from East basketball that have helped me the most in life, both in the workplace and more importantly, while being a parent.

After graduation from East in 1976, I attended the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma and graduated in 1980 with degree in Business Administration. I have worked in the commercial construction sector since college. I have now been self employed since 1990, first owning an asbestos & lead paint abatement company and now a very small construction management company.

I married my wife Doreen (Beany) in 1986 and we moved to Bainbridge Island in 1987. We have two daughters (Emily born in 1989 & Mallory born in 1992) who both played on this year’s Bainbridge High School girl’s basketball team that made it to the State Tournament. I am very proud to say that both of them had the instincts and ability to “Play like East”.

No comments: