Sunday, August 31, 2008

Lyle Bakken - 1958



I first met Les Eathorne at the Men's "Golden Ball Championship" that we won as high school Sophmores. Les saw the rag-tag "bums" which he was to inherit the next year and stated "Oh My God!". The next season, (1957). he added plays 1 and 2 (remember), had any rebounder step out with one foot & fire the ball at the downcourt net and heaven help Mahugh, Stautz or myself if we weren't there to catch it. Defensively, he "organized" it to always double-team the ball, play the passing lanes and run like hell. (we were conditioned to play three games back to back and not break into a sweat. How John Wooden got wind of it (UCLA press, HA!) I don't know but he made a fortune with it. Sorry Les.


What many people don't remember was that Les was an outstanding track coach. I remember him on the bus to P.A. reading "Track Coaching for Dummies" and saying we need points in hurdles to win this thing, so Bakken you're it!". I said " I never jumped a hurdle coach" and Les said "We have one-half hour before the meet, when we get there so go practice". The hurdles came up to my armpits, I jumped landed on my butt, Les looked down and said "Jump higher and run faster. Form does not matter". (see picture) I knocked every hurdle down, split my knees open, and won.
No one every having had contact with Coach E on the track, maples, or in class will ever forget him. God bless you, Les & Pat
Love Lyle

No comments: